Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Bookend of Romans

The book of Romans begins and ends with the same thought process. I picked this up when I was in Romania and it has impacted my life in so many ways. Here are the observations and how it has affected my life. Get your Bible and notice the similarities.

1.       Romans 1:2 and Romans 16: 25-26 = thankfulness. The Gospel was not clear in the Old Covenant. We see a picture under the Old Covenant but not the reality. It becomes clear when Jesus died on the cross, rose from the grave, and the Holy Spirit given at Pentecost.  I am thankful to see the fulfillment, only by God’s grace.

2.       Romans 1:5 and Romans 16:26 = missions. The Gospel will be taken to all nations. This is the mission of the church. Every year I evaluate my life in light of this truth. I ask myself, “How did I do this year in making disciples of all nations?”

3.       Romans 1: 5 and Romans 16:26 = obedience of faith. True faith or the true effects of the Gospel in a person’s life or real belief or what Jesus accomplished on the cross for all who believe is…. Obedience of faith. True believers will have a changed life. This hits the easy believism that is so prevalent in the church culture between the eyes. A changed life is not optional, it is a work of and evidence of the Holy Spirit.  


4.       Romans 1:5 and Romans 16:27 = God always gets the Glory. The goal of missions is to bring glory to God. When someone comes to Christ, our God is worshiped. His name is gloried. His name is made famous. Not ours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment