Tuesday, July 9, 2013

A study of God's Sovereignty

It is my experience that one of the most difficult, yet most basic, doctrines for Christians to grasp is God’s sovereignty. Serving in college ministry for fourteen years, I have seen believers struggle with this doctrinal truth. I have seen individuals portray a wide arrangement of emotions when taught this truth: anger, sorrow, frustration, pride, joy, thankfulness, humility and worship. Comments like – “I am not a puppet!” or “A good, loving, sovereign God would never allow bad things to happen.” and the classic, “I have free will, I choose what I do, not God”.  And from a positive note comments like, “This is the most freeing doctrine.” and “I don’t know how someone can go through disaster and not believe in God’s sovereignty.”

The question I often ask myself is, “Why is God’s sovereignty so hard for people to believe?” When I first came to Christ, I had questions about God’s sovereignty. In fact I went so far as to look in the back of my Bible and look up the word predestine! And yep, that word is in the Bible.Over the next few days, I want to blog about how this doctrine continues to change my life. In my ministry, once someone believes in this biblical truth, it always ends with them giving God glory.  Having a correct Biblical understanding of God’s sovereignty changed my life and I hope to show you how it can change yours.


I plan to write about Gods sovereignty and how it relates to: evil, trials, free will, pride, humility, salvation, spiritual gifts, our attitude, thankfulness, and spiritual warfare. God is 100% sovereign over all the above, in fact He is sovereign over everything. He always, always, always gets the glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment