Wednesday, June 19, 2013

God as my Father

The writing of J.I. Packer has influenced my life tremendously.  One statement made by J.I.  Packer has stuck with me for fifteen years. I can’t remember it verbatim but it went something like this… To truly grasp Christianity is to call God, Father. Wow!

To call God, Father, was a foreign concept to the nation of Israel. Yes, comparisons of God as father are found in the Old Testament (Deuteronomy 32:6), but the Jews as a whole did not call God, Father. The first time Jesus calls God Father is Matthew 6:9, when teaches His disciples to pray. The religious leaders were furious that Jesus would refer to God as Father. It got Him killed.

This is a New Covenant concept! God is redeeming His people for Himself. God is Father and believers are His children (brothers and sisters). Everyone cannot make that claim. All people are created in God’s image but not all are God’s children in this way. For example:

Romans 8:14-17
English Standard Version (ESV)
14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons[a] of God. 15 For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” 16 The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.

And…


Galatians 4:6-7

English Standard Version (ESV)
And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God.

John goes even further in 1 John 3:1-10. Believe me; what John says is not politically correct.
Here is how the doctrine of God as my Father has impacted my life:

1.       Assurance. No one had to teach me assurance of salvation. After I came to Christ, I knew my life was different. I understood, in some way, that I was at peace with God. God is my Father. Before coming to Christ, I could not say that. I believe that is the point of Romans 8:14-17.

2.       Access to God (Ephesians 2:18). Through Jesus, I can go to God any time I choose to. I don’t have to go through a priest or “clean myself up” before I pray or read my Bible. I have free access to God. He is my Father. Just as my kids have access to me, I have access to my Father.

3.       Every Christian is my brother or sister. The question I have to ask myself is, “How do I treat my brother or sister – whom Jesus died for”. I am sad to say that Christians often don’t get along. Christian’s slanders, backstab, talk about, and pick on other Christians who are not a part of their “camp”. It should not be that way. How we treat brothers and sisters is very, very important.

4.       Humility. We attribute NOTHING to our salvation. Just as I did not choose my earthly father, I did not choose my Heavenly Father. I am adopted into His family, I did not adopt Him. Even the faith to believe is a gift given to me by my Father.

5.       Obedience. It is my desire to bring God glory through my actions, thoughts, and motives (1 Thessalonians 4:1 and 1 John 5:3). I still sin, and will sin. However, my desire is obedience.


6.       Discipline. The author of Hebrews asked a question, “For what son is there whom his father does not discipline?” (Hebrews 12:7). I expect to go through discipline. It is my response to discipline that matters. Do I complain or give thanks?

No comments:

Post a Comment