Thursday, December 20, 2012

The threat of a baby

As I have read the Christmas story this year, four words caught my eye. Those four words, King of the Jews. These words are first spoken by the wise men from the east. "Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men for the east came to Jerusalem, saying, Where is He who has been born King of the Jews?" Matthew 2:3 describes Herod as "troubled" after hearing this. But why? The words threatened Herod. He was king. It was his land to rule. Now a baby is born and wise men from the east are calling Him king?! So what did he do? Did he worship this new baby that was born? Remember, Jesus is a baby. At most He is two years old. He did what he has done all of his life. Plot and kill. When the wise men did not come back and give a report to Herod, the Bible says he became "furious." So what did he do? Matthew 2:16-18 is a fulfillment of prophecy found in Jeremiah. Herod did not worship - he lead a massive murder spree of children. The king demanded and executed all children at the age of two and younger (verse 16) in Bethlehem and all in that region.  Imagine if the was passed in the US! 

Now, fast forward to Jesus' death. He is going to die. His hands and feet are nailed to a cross, a perfect and just payment for sins. Then, in mockery, a sign was nailed about His head. It is the the same four words the wise men spoke of Him. "This is Jesus, King of the Jews" (Matthew 27:37, ESV). WOW! From His birth to His death, Jesus is called "King of the Jews!"

Jesus is my King. He is the Sovereign King of the universe. Most do not submit to His Kingship. Most do not love my King. Most are threatened by my King. By God's love, grace, and mercy I am part of His Kingdom. I am adopted by God the Father through Jesus! J.I. Packer is famous for stating that the essence of Christianity being able to call God, "Father." I love my King. The Holy Spirit has given me a new heart to love Him. My sins are forgiven- past, present, and future. For that I am thankful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment